peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 2009 mazda 6. Car is currently stuck in a parking

Customer Question

I have a 2009 mazda 6. Car is currently stuck in a parking lot. My daughter entered car as usual , pushed start button and nothing then yellow steering wheel lock symbol lights and beeps. green lite on button and key symbol in cluster is green.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?
Customer: battery in key fob new and car battery is good. Raining heavily at time of issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This may be due to an internal electrical fault in the steering lock assembly itself.If this lock is at fault internally this will keep the engine from starting like this here.If you have not had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set in all computers using a scan tool that can plug into your model and communicate with all computers this needs done.If any codes are set they will need diagnosed to locate and repair this fault.I suspect a failed steering lock possibly or an issue with the electronic ignition switch but you do need to have the fault codes checked with the proper scan tool and further testing to pinpoint and repair this issue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you're saying I need to take it to the dealer. Will I be able to get it towed to the dealer with the steering wheel and the shifter locked up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I find fault codes with my tester will it help me in anyway to fix it myself?
It will need towed and the lock inspected and replaced as needed.Usually with this fault here it has to be towed on a flat bed tow truck as I have seen multiple times before.If your tester reads all computers this will help with locating if the steering lock or any other component is the cause here but most hand held testers will not read all computers in your model and this usually requires a higher dollar scan tool to do this. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks
Your welcome