Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I'm having trouble removing and e brake cable on my 2008

Customer Question
Hi I'm having trouble removing...
Hi I'm having trouble removing and e brake cable on my 2008 Mazda 3 the current metal shroud looks like it should go into the new one how does the old come out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Okay I had caliper froze so I have the new one j purchased for the passenger rear but I can't get bee brake able out of the caliper housing for some reason and tips hint anything
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I'm a mechanic I own a small shop
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pulling it out rust penitent vise grips everything logical
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: No just that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
4/27/2016
Mazda Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
hi there,im cam , a licenced tech.you have run into the caliper issues that I have fought with many time.yes, this should just pull out, but they never ever do. they rust and sieze solid in the caliper.i have usually done 1 of 2 things if the typical penetrating flui and vise grips approach doesnt work.1. I use a air hammer with the thinest tip to hammer it through the housing. the tricky part is not damaging the cable itself.a hand punch would be nice but there is nothing to hold the caliper still while you do this so i use an air hammer2. cut the old caliper to relieve the rust tension.this is a last resort as you probably have a core charge and dont want to damage the old caliper, but soemtime i have had no choice but to destroy the old caluper to save the cable.these are notorious for seizing solid, and it will not be the last one you ever run into either. thats the worst part....i try to stay away from heat as this can damage the cable housing.
let me know how you make out!thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!
hi therehow did your repair go?
camerontech
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic