Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a p0420 code popping out and need to knw if its actually

Customer Question

I have a p0420 code popping out and need to knw if its actually the pre car or whay to check before thinking on changing the pre cat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well i reset the code and it didnt come back for about a month and once again i reseted the code and now it pops up a day or two after i reset it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sergio,The P0420 is for catalytic convertor low efficiency.The rear O2 sensor checks for this. So you either have an exhaust gasket leak, doesn't need a big leak, or the catalytic convertor is starting to fail.Genuine cats are much better quality.Hope this helps.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sergio,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you. Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary