sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Have a 2008.5 speed 3 no speedo or odo all fuse good.

Customer Question

have a 2008.5 speed 3 no speedo or odo all fuse good. happened right after new battery installed
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The most likely cause for this would be a failed vehicle speed sensor. The sensor is mounted on top of the trans over the final drive area and sends a signal based on transmission output speed. It's possible that the issue could be in the instrument cluster but it's more likely that the sensor has failed or there is a wiring/connection issue preventing it from creating a signal. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes, and most likely the sensor and wiring will need to be tested from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a Manual Transmission. Does that matter? I could not locate the speed sensor on the transmission. I removed the battery box. Also I failed to mention that the ABS light and Check Engine lights are on.

I did note that it was a manual transmission.

Do you know what codes have set in the ABS and powertrain control modules?