Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Mazda Protégé ES, since we got it, it does not…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Mazda...
I have a 1998 Mazda Protégé ES, since we got it, it does not have alarm or at least I do not have the control. I did not use it for two weeks and the battery die, when I replace it the sound of an alarm started it. I tried to turned it on but no response. The alarm still going on for a minute or two then stopped. When I open the door starts all over again, I have being open the doors with the key. How can I stop then alarm and start the car?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
I got the car five years ago used.
3/7/2016
Mazda Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's factory security then it can be disarmed by opening any door or the trunk with the key, provided the disarm switches are functional. It isn't uncommon for a disarm switch to fail or there could be a wiring issue with the one on the driver's door. Have you tried unlocking the passenger door or trunk with the key?

Unfortunately the passenger door is not working, looks like has a piece of something stuck inside. I tried the trunk and it did not work. After a little while the alarm stops but if I open the driver's door it starts again. Any more suggestions?

The alarm will have to be disarmed either by unlocking the doors, trunk, or with a key fob. You may have to purchase and have a key fob programmed.

Will the key not turn in the passenger door?

The key on the passenger's door does not turn because it does not go all the way in. I do not see any solution an this matter, I just have a question where can a get the key fob? At a dealer or some where else.

A dealer can order you a fob, you can get one at most parts stores, many online sources, or eBay. Aftermarket fobs, especially claiming to be refurbished, may have operational issues.

I am not a handy man, does the key fob comes with instruction on how to use it?

With the key out of the ignition sit in the driver's seat with the doors closed.

Open the driver's door.

Insert the key.

Within 24 seconds, cycle the key from off to lock three times, push the driver's door switch three times.

The locks should cycle.

Push a button on the key fob twice.

The locks should cycle if programming is successful.

Do you have an idea of the cost of the key fob?

The ones I'm seeing online range from $15-60.