Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 1991 mazda 121 db, it wouldn't start and a racq…

Customer Question
i have a 1991 mazda...
i have a 1991 mazda 121 db , it wouldn't start and a racq mechanics tapped the fuel pump to get it going. I have just replaced the pump as it would not start at all. with the pump correctly fitted and no blocks in the fuel line it still wont start, no fuel coming to carby.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Carl,

The car wouldn't start, then RACQ knocked the tank and it started and ran ok, correct?

Then you have replaced the fuel pump, did you fit a genuine pump as an assembly or did you swap jump the pump?

Did you keep the wiring correct or swap around on the pump by accident?

And do you mean no fuel to the throttle body (TBI injector) , or does it really have a carby?

Gary

correct racq knocked the tank it ran ok for a month than sat for three days and wouldn't start. I check fuel filter and it was fine. I replaced the pump located in the tank , I took photo to ensure I put it all back correctly . I don't understand what swap jump is.
no fuel in the throttle body , if you put fuel in the tbi the car will start and run until that fuel runs out
carl

Hi Carl,

Sorry for my typo above, I meant "did you swap just the pump?"

If you have the fuel line off at the throttle body into a container, and crank the engine, and no fuel goes into the container?

Can you hear the new pump run as soon as you turn on the ignition?

Does your immobiliser light go off when you turn on the ignition?

Gary

I just swapped the pump, no fuel goes into a container and it does not have an immobiliser light that I am aware of , and no you can not hear pump run at all
carl
I did notice that an electrical connecter on the pump inside the tank was burnt, I assume that is the issue

Hi Carl,

Ok, we need to repair the connector.

Eventually the connection becomes effectively open circuit.

Have seen a poor female terminal cause this many times.

Gary

Hi Carl,

How have you gone with your problem?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Regards

Gary