Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. My 2004 RX-8 will only run about…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. My 2004 RX-8 will only run about 15-20 minutes then it quits and won't start until an hour or so. This is what I've done to try to fix - new OEM coils, new plugs & wires, new starter, new fuel pump, new mass air flow sensor, new crank sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I've had the car about 6 months. For the first 3 months, it ran good. But then it started giving me a problem starting...after I had driven and stopped then it wouldn't start for about 15 minutes. Now it won't start for about an hour. When it is running, it runs good.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
The guy I bought it from said he replaced the apex seal. Does a faulty apex seal cause hot start issues? As far as cold start...it cranks after only a few turns if it has been sitting a day or two.
3/2/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to determine what is causing the problem you are having with the no start you are going to need to check to see if you have good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure ( 54 to 65 PSI). Check each one of these for me when it will not start and we can work from there to determine the cause.

if I do check the things you specify and they are all good, what would be your thoughts? I forgot to mention that I also changed the catalytic converter and still have the same problem. When I start it up in my drive and let it idle after about 15 minutes the engine idle starts fluctuating up to around 1500 rpm for a few seconds then down to 750 rpm and then back up, etc. When it goes down to around 750 rpm, then engine makes a noise for a few seconds. Then after doing this for a few minutes the engine stalls. At that point I have to wait about an hour or so before it will start.

In order to get some idea as to what is next we need to check the thing I mentioned to try and narrow it down.