Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 mazda 6 with a manual trans. It wont go into…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 mazda 6 with a manual trans. It wont go into any gear while its running but if you turn it off then you can put it into any gear. It seems like the clutch isn't fully disengaging

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If i can yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?

So far i have replaced the shift cables the clutch assembly the master cylinder and the slave cylinder

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
2/28/2016
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd agree that this sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging

as you've already replace most of the clutch part I'd sya to check the condition of the clutch pedal itself

as I've known these to crack along the welds and so you end up just flexing the pedal instead of moving the master cylinder pushrod

also I'm sure you have done already but try bleeding the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.
the use of a pressure or vacuum bleeding system may also help here

Didn't you read what I have already done. The clutch assembly
WAS cracked and I already replaced it with a new factory one. I have bled all of the brakes and the clutch since they share a common resivor. So I don't really understand your suggestion of what to do next.?!

Ah sorry I misunderstood what you meant

when you said clutch assembly I thought you meant the clutch friction disc and clamp plate fitted to the engine?

so in that case it sounds like the clutch is stuck on, so even tho the hydraulics are fine the plate remains attached to the flywheel.

so you can try leaving the clutch pedal pressed down overnight with a piece of wood or similar jammed between the pedal and seat base.

If its no different in the morning then you're going to either have to remove the gearbox and prise the plate off manually or get a little brutal with it and start the car with it in gear.

I'd go for the latter as if this doesn't work you'll have to take the box off anyway.

If you do try try to start it in gear then make sure you've got plenty of room for manoeuvres and accelerate hard then try pumping the clutch. It'll probably go free with a bang and might feel a little rough for the next few gearchanges but keep changing gear and it should smooth out