Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES. I changed out the OEM radio…

Customer Question
I own a 2003 Mazda...
I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute ES. I changed out the OEM radio for another dash trim OEM radio. In doing so, I had to partially remove the dash trim. I did not disconnect the battery. After reinstalling the dash trim, (with the radio working), the lit dash indicator for the 4wd "on" will not shut off. I removed the dash trim as before and checked to see if I disconnected the dash switch. I had not. Dash light remains "on". I ordered a new dash switch that hasn't arrived yet. Do you have any other suggestions? Can you tell me if 4wd is engaged or not with the dash light lit?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
2/24/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I own and rive a 2002 Tribute , so know them a bit better, I am unsure why this after you pulled the radio trim fae but,, i can only suspect in doing so, as long as no pinched wires, You disturbed the switch, may have been a bit weak prior to repair, So,, to tell if locked in 4x4? little hard with just on the ground.You really have to jack the front and rear off the ground and run in gear, I will say,, I can tell when mine is in 4x4 mode just by feel of driving especially in parking lot on tight turns, If does not feel like before? its locked in 4x4, May not be, no harm if it is but if you did not pinch wires, all checks ok? then the switch is likely bad and will correct the problem

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech