Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

2005 rx8 Driving down ghway at 85-90 motor died sounded like

Customer Question
2005 rx8 Driving down highway at...
2005 rx8
Driving down highway at 85-90 motor died sounded like being push started no spark. Push in clutch motor died now rolling free engine dead. I put back in gear, started up like in limp mode. Got on highway barely made it home (2 miles) . Now won't start. Bought (plugs, wires, mid pipe, coil packs) now starts 1 out of 50 try's runs rough backfires won't idle.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
2/21/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello. Sounds to me like the timing went out. First see if the engine will run on starter fluid. If not check compression that will tell you a lot. Most likely the timing jumped or the fuel pump went out. Or you have a case of bad fuel. Hope this information helps. Lou

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Actually it did start on start'er fuild. But ran rough and wouldn't idle. Kept running for 15-20mins then I try to let idle and died won't start back up. How do I move the timing. I grew up build v8's first rotary. Bad gas? I did fill up the night before. Can I check compression, i know these motors are different.

Ah never mind timing lol I was in auto pilot with test steps. Your issue is most likely fuel related. I would pull the fuel test port cap and drain some fuel into a glass mason jar and let it set for a hour and see if it separates. If it does you will notice a definite line of water and fuel. If not you will see the sediment floating in the fuel. If you just got gas I would suspect poor fuel quality. So I would stick with that until proved otherwise. Hope this information helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay I was starting to question your knowledge of a rotary. So I pulled some gas and have it in a jar. Also just pulled some codes from my reader I have a P0171 and a P2004.

Lol yeah I don't blame you. Sorry for that. So p0171 is a fuel trim code. That's what you get when the fuel won't fire correctly. I still think it's s fuel issue until proved otherwise.

P2004 has to do with a adjustable intake runner. That would affect run ability but not starting.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I let the fuel sit over night there was no separation and no sentiment. looks like gasoline. Tomorrow I will be pulling the fuel pump and draining the tank for a cleaning. Also I will be changing the oil, oil filter and crank sensor.

Ok. Don't do the crank sensor yet. One step at a time. If you do too much at one time an something else happens then you. Will be chasing your tail figuring out if it was a failed new part or what. So just start with the fuel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is getting to be a nightmare. Changed fuel pump and drained tank. Changed oil. New gas. Started up rough won't idle back fired a lot. held at 5000rpm back fired a bit at first ran smooth after dropping down to 3000rpm back firing as it drops a little rough then holds smooth, slowly let drop to idle died. Won't start back up, will wait until it cools. It ran fine, idled fine, drove great until that day driving down highway. What am I missing?

so it runs now with new gas?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It ran the same with the old gas.

OK, unplug the mass air flow sensor and see if it runs,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
unplugged and no start.

how many time did you try as it may not start right away

if the mass air flow sensor fails it will send the wrong air flow reading to the ecm and cause the wrong air fuel ratio,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
8-10

ok, it should have started by then

see if there is one stocked at a local parts store plug it in and give it a try.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was the first thing I replaced. The first one they gave me the guy dropped on the floor. Not sure and trying to rule everything else out I took it back and exchanged for another one, This one is new. At least now I'm getting a P0302 Miss fire code!!

ah, ok i dont think i will be able to help unless you can get a scan tool that can read live data. if bringing the car to a shop is not a option for you let me know and i will opt out and see if another expert can assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you can't help me I need my $20 back. thanks.

no worries i will opt out, another expert should be along soon. so please do not reply back to me or it will lock the question back to me. if for some reason another expert does not assist you can follow the customer service links and get process your own refund. good luck please let me know what fixes it , take care. Lou P.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
okay,thx
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Different tech here, would you like me to try and help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you read the above thread?

Yes I have read everything posted prior.

Do you still need help, if so has anything changed from your original concern that I need to know about prior to helping?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician