Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2006 tribute 4cyl awd, replaced starter,new key with chip

Customer Question

2006 tribute 4cyl awd, replaced starter,new key with chip done.go to start and sounds like selonoid on starter is winding,not engaging starter,not turning engine,will not start
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

When you try to start your are hearing something spinning but the engine is not spinning?

It can not be the starter relay or solenoid, there is nothing in either that spins, they are just switches.

When trying to start are both wires to the starter motor powered?

Is it possible you have the starter wired wrong, and the starter motor is spinning but the bendix is not being thrown out into the flywheel?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine turns belts,replaced valve cover as the ends had leaked oil into 2 end plugs still no start car had not run for 5 months not sure what really happened but not starting

Thanks for letting me know it will crank. So now we need to check the fuel pressure, verify ignition spark, and injector pulse. Can you do those things?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How is that done the spark I can

Fuel pressure is checked with a gauge connected to the fuel rail or with a scan tool.

Injector pulse is checked by plugging up a $ noid light in place of an injector, then crank the engine and verify the light flashes.