Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

When I try to take off in first gear I get a slow response

Customer Question

When I try to take off in first gear I get a slow response from the car as if it were under a lot of weight. it lags picking up any kind of speed. until 4000 rpms and then all the power in the world. 1990 mazda miata mx-5
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: replacing the fuel pump, replacing valve cover gasket, testing the spark plugs and wires, running a fuel injector cleaner threw it, and adjusting the idle
JA: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?
Customer: it has a code 26 flashing on the check engine light
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Is this a manual transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Typically the symptoms you are describing indicate a clutch that is slipping. When the clutch or pressure plate has a problem, then it's slipping. This cases the lack of pick up and the engine speed increasing. If you try starting out in second gear it may not slip as bad and give you more power at start off. I believe you will need to have the clutch and pressure plate changed to solve the problem.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and just so you know it was not the clutch was not slipping because that would have came with the foul smell of burning clutch. I have also already found and fixed the issue witch is supposed to be a very extreme common issue with the 1990 Mazda Miata where the crankshaft woodruff key and keyway are all break and you have to replace the key and the crankshaft the telltale sign is the crank pulley has a slight wobble. Also it was completely out of time because of the issue and after fixing it was extremely easy to time and now has like wow power in first gear
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Great to hear you got it resolved!

Thanks for the follow up as well.