Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda Z5 timing set Please help
, yes, I have tried…

Customer Question
Mazda Z5 timing set...

Mazda Z5 timing set Please help

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yes, I have tried everything up to this point. for some reason the timing is still out of whack I have tried to set the cams to each other with the timing chain and then to set the timing with the pulley boss on the crankshaft for some reason, I have some exhaust gases coming out of the intake now

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
I have replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, crank pos sensor, rebuilt the entire engine from top to bottom.
Now, need to make sure the timing is properly set. So it looks like the book says to align the cams to each other.
Then to set the main intake cam pulley with the Z at twelve oclock, and the pulley boss at twelve oclock as well.
There are two off color chain links on the cam chain, and I have aligned these with the dimples on the cams.
Please tell me if any of this is wrong.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/20/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I will be glad to check the timing information for you but in order to do so I need to know what year your working on. If you can post this information back Ill have a look and see if I can verify the information your need.

1997 Mazda Protege 1.5L DOHC 16 Valve
MPFI Rail Injection
Main Drive Cam Intake
Idler Cam Exhaust
Complete engine Rebuild

Is this a US built 1.5. Im not seeing this engine in 1997.

US built. I believe the same engine used in 95 96 97 Mazda Protege

It was used in the 1995 Protege but it came with a belt , so your has a chain?

Cams are ganged with tie chain and tensioner
Intake cam has drive gear
Exhaust Cam tied together only with cam tie chain
Drive from pulley boss is timing belt with one adjuster and one idler pulley
There is one small idler gear for timing belt on exhaust side

This is what Im finding and I do not think its what you you need. See the link below, copy and paste it to your browser to open and view it. If this is not what you need let me know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/T%20belt%20Feb%2020.pdf

Very similar engine, but there is only one drive cam gear on the intake (left) side

Okay, Unfortunately this is all I have so Im going to open the post back up for you and hopefully someone can help you with what you need. If they can they will post back. Im sorry I could not help you with this here.

That's ok, thank you for your assistance
Mazda Mechanic: Wolfgang, ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, ASE Master Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative

please recheck your marks especially on the bottom (crank) please see pics.

the first pic is the top and the second is the bottom there is a difference with thet.b. pulley on and off where is tdc!!

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

I am sorry, but I was tinkering with this all day and just now saw the reply.Great News is, it works fine.For the benefit of all who read this, here is the outline of events.This car overheated and the engine ceased.
After the engine was completely disassembled, here is what was found:Head was way warped, head gasket blown, pieces of piston were found in the oil pan, oil and water mix, scoring on piston walls, some scoring on main bearing journals.
Machine Shop work:Straighten and mill Cylinder Head
Realign valve train adjustments, valve clearance, valve lash.
Turn and mill Crank for plus .010
Bore out Cylinders to plus .020
Invested in new parts:
Radiator with relief cap, thermostat, hoses
Full Head gasket set including
Intake / exhaust manifolds / valve cover
Main bearings, rod bearings at plus .010 rings, over sized pistons at plus .020
Complete timing kit with pulleys and belt,
Oil Pump, and Water Pump,
Full set of fuel injectors, distributor, cap and rotor, wires, crank position sensor
the main issue after timing set and recheck, was still suspect the intake cam timing as exhaust was being forced out intake manifold with a crank, no startSo the problem was:
The Intake cam pulley has three set points to align the intake cam and the timing belt drive pulley. The Z mark was actually off by a total 120 degrees from the intake cam itself. Reset to proper alignment and, what do ya know, it runs very fine now.
My hope, is that this can help someone.
Anyone with the Mazda Z5 1.5L
Good Luck.
And.
Cheers, Mate.

hey glad you got it .