Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I recently had an issue with my 2007 Mazda 3. The car would…

Customer Question
Hello, I recently had an...
Hello, I recently had an issue with my 2007 Mazda 3. The car would not start, the car would not turn over or make any noise when the key is turned in the ignition. Lights and other electrical systems began to not work so we assumed the battery was just dying. We had the car about 9 years and we already changed the battery about 4 years ago so it's probably about time to change it. We changed the battery, but now absolutely nothing electrical works now. Did I blow the main fuse trying to install the battery by accident?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/17/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Do you have a voltmeter by chance, because alot of times a new battery is not fully charged, they sit around for a few months and alot of time need charging when you buy them new. If you can confirm the battery voltage is 12 or more, then we can go from there, or if you don't have a voltmeter, if you can try jumpstarting the vehicle with a running car and jumper cables. Also, see if the brake lights work, they are wired around the ignition switch. let us know what you find there. Thank you.

I do not have a voltmeter unfortunately, I thought of that myself that the battery needs a charging. But the strange thing is that even if the battery has a low charge, some sort of electrical device should at least work right? Nothing works, the horn, the lights, the dash lights, the speedometer lights do not work at all. They did before we changed the battery but only a few dash lights came on. I can try jumping it but I know that battery has power to run at least one electric accessory cause we saw a few sparks while we were installing the new battery.

I follow you Justin, Alright, check all your fuses out in the fuse box, especially the large amp fuses. Usually they won't blow when changing a battery, but I would double check them. Are you working on it now? See if the brake lights even work. If they don't work, then we definitely have low voltage or a blown main fusible link, because they are wired around the ignition switch even.

I checked the battery it has 12.7 volts so that's good. I'm checking the car now

Alright, check all your fuses.

The brake lights do not work either with the battery connected.

Interesting, You found a voltmeter? or 12 volt test light?

I bought a voltmeter on my way over

Alright, black lead on ground meter on 15 volt scale, touch red lead to both fuse tips on each fuse should get 12 on each side of the fuse. Check that and let me know.