Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

You 't want to know, possible TCM issues, PRNDL displ cuts…

Customer Question
You don't want to...

You don't want to know

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Possible TCM issues, PRNDL displ cuts out, persistent trans limp mode, and now p/s cut out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes, mr. robot

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Cleaned TCM contacts

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?

Also got shift solenoid E code

Mechanic's Assistant: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
to sum up: trans goes into limp intermittently, also sometimes stays in 3/4 gears, PRNDL display on cluster flickers on/off, shift solenoid codes, AT+CEL mils set on intermittently, loss of comm w/TCM code, P/S assist loss with P/S mil set
2/12/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can give me the actual fault codes your getting as well as letting me know what year and model your Mazda is I will try and help you determine the cause of the problem you are having. Post back with complete information and we can work from there.

pretty sure it's the TCM, thanks anyways

It may very well be but knowing the fault code its setting would be very useful in determining if that is the case.

As mentioned, fault code "no communication" with TCM is P0101 I believe, and no other codes set because the TCM was not responsive. The solenoid E code (741 I think) set a few weeks ago, and hasn't re-set because, again, the TCM is not responsive and not storing codes. I just installed a reman TCM and so far so good. FYI as soon as I initiated KOER with new TCM (in Park) I heard the trans shift from its "limp" 3 or 4 gear right into 1, which tells me the reman TCM started talking to the car right away. Test drove for 1 hr, so far so good. Thanks anyways.

It sounds like you may have got it resolved. Give it a try and lets see. If not post back and we can work from there. Thank you as well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician