Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Greg, I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute and I have have nothing…

Customer Question
Hi Greg, I have...

Hi Greg, I have a 2002 Mazda Tribute and I have have nothing but problems with the gas mileage. We have replaced just about everything that has to do with the fuel from spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors, all three cats, o2 sensors, egr, fuel filter, to the last thing a new fuel pump. Now it is even worse have drove 15 ***** ***** and used a 1/4 tank of gas. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When I originally purchased the vehicle I use to get around 310 to 330 ***** ***** per fill up and now I am lucky to get 180 ***** *****. We have also replaced the MAF as when I took it into Mazda for some recalls they didn't connect the senor properly and it shorted out. I don't know what else to replace or if we should replace the PCM

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
1/31/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 2 years ago
Greg
Greg, import technician

Hi .

Is there any warning lights ON when the engine is running .

Was at any time when parts where being replaced malfunction codes recorded .

Or have all these parts been replaced on assumption.

Greg

No there is not any warning lights on. Some have been replaced when codes came on others were replaced just trying to correct the fuel mileage. Before replacing the fuel pump the car would do the same thing over and over. When you filled the tank you would average around 60 to 70 miles at using the 1st 1/4 tank of gas. Between 3/4 of a tank and 1/2 a tank you were lucky to get 30 miles. Then between a 1/2 a tank and empty around 160 miles. Originally I use to get about 310 to 330 miles per fill up. Now since we replaced the fuel pump I am getting 15 miles for the 1st 1/4 tank and so on for a total of 180 miles per fill up.
Linda

Important question is this reading of MPG with the fuel used from the same station or mixed stations.

Do you smell fuel fumes at the exhaust .

or when driving .

Greg

It doesn't seem to make a difference what gas station I use. No there is no fuel fumes at the exhaust or when driving.
Linda

Linda do you have normal power, or does it feel a little down on power .

Greg

4 or 6 cylinder

6 cylinder, on flat roads normal power, climbing hills or driving to the mountains on passes it seems to bog down. My brother said it sounds like it doesn't go into over drive. Makes a loud humming noise.
A mechanic had the vehicle for 3 days driving it and said there was no problem. Also ran testing and could not find anything only to charge me $1000.00...

WOW .. if you are not getting overdrive then this will up the fuel consumption to the point

where you are now ,the OVERDRIVE is a big fuel saver .

Linda i suggest you check out another repair shop as it looks like they are not checking your car

correctly .

This could well be a transmission issue that they failed to check if the shop you was using did not have the equipment to check all system then this maybe why they failed to find the problem .

Sorry you been though $1000.00 and not come to a fix ,

If high mileage (100.000 + )then the cats and sensors will be a good change and no loss .

Here are 12 points to help on a better MPG.

12 ways to improve your gas mileage.

1. Keep your engine tuned up. Incorrect fuel ratio, bad spark plugs and incorrect spark timing can have a big effect on gas mileage.

2. Don't use your air conditioner (A/C) unless you really need it. The A/C compressor puts an extra strain on the engine.

3. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Under inflated tires cause more resistance to travel.

4. Avoid stop and go traffic by taking alternative routes or less congested travel times.

5. Ask other people with the same type of car what kind of gas mileage they get, it may alert you to a problem with your car.

6. Use a good engine oil, preferably a synthetic or standard oil treated with a friction reducing oil additive. These have been known to improve fuel economy by as much as 12%.

7. Reduce the weight in your vehicle as much as possible. (Good excuse to get the mother-in-law out of the car....)

8. Use your cruise control whenever possible.

9. Keeping your highway speed at 55 mph can improve you gas mileage by as much as 25%, compared to 75 mph. (this one's tough for us too...)

10. Avoid trying to increase speed while climbing a hill, your engine is already working hard trying to overcome gravity.

11. Keep your windows closed when possible. Open windows actually reduce gas mileage compared to using the A/C.

12. Remove accessories, such as luggage rack, etc. that lower the aerodynamics of your vehicle.

Hope the cats and O2 sensors where original Mazda parts or Denso.NGK if any other cheaper sensor used then this may cause bad MPG ..

Need any follow up help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service.
This way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

If i do not get back to you then i may be off line, and when i get back online i will get back to you..

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Greg
Greg
Greg, import technician