Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2005 RX8 no crank. Relay is good. I have 12 power to the…

Customer Question
2005 RX8 no crank...

2005 RX8 no crank. Relay is good. I have 12 power to the LG/R in the fuse box with the ignition switch in the start position. I also have power to the red wire in the at the relay. But no voltage gets to the solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What more do you need to know?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
1/30/2016
Mazda Mechanic: piciu82, Technician replied 2 years ago
piciu82
piciu82, Technician

is it stick or automatic ?

stick
Hello?

check for ground on White / Green wire,

PCM anti theft controls that relay by sending ground to control terminals , if key is not recognized it will not crank, did you tried to jump relay to force it to crank ?

No I did not check for ground at the white and green wire. I checked continuity of the wire, from the fuse box to the relay, it is good. The key is recognized by the PCM, because the immobilizer light turns on, then goes off. The starter cranks the engine when I do it manually. I will check for the ground. and reply.
In the run position, I get 64 ohms, in the off position I get 34 ohms ant the W/G wire.

you have to check it different way, you need regular test light, connect it to positive side of battery. remove starter relay and connect test light to terminal with white / green wire, try to crank it with the key, if test light light up PCM is commanding relay

Okay
Test light illuminated in the start position. Reinstalled relay, tested L/R wire at the starter in the start position with my test light, light did not illuminate.
Are you still there?

did you check continuity between starter solenoid and relay ?? so far what you tested indicates that there's power to the relay, relay control circuit is good and working, now try to jump relay terminals (RED and BLUE/RED) Red is power to the relay from fuse box (ACC fuse) blue/red Is power from relay to starter solenoid

Diagram

I jumped the connection and nothing happened. Checked continuity from blue and red terminal in fuse box to terminal at starter no continuity. That is as thick wire, how could it be broken. Have you seen anything like this before?
Pulled the harness from the starter, did wiggle test and suddenly got continuity through out the entire L/R circuit. Is the a know problem with this harness are fuse box. The starer cranked the engine. Any suggestion?