Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a mazda cx9 and when i turn it off the door ajar

Customer Question
light stays on but the...
I have a mazda cx9 and when i turn it off the door ajar light stays on but the doors are all closed. It keeps running the battery dead.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Mazda Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician

I'm assuming you have a bad door latch switch. You can try disconnecting the connectors for one door at a time, at the door pillar near the hinges. If you pull a door connector, and the light still stays on, then it is a different door.

One hint- your dome light may have a timer on it, so the light may not go off for half a minute after you "close the door"- so if you have the key on it should turn the light off right away when the door is "closed" or disconnected.

When we drive it the light is off. It only comes on when we turn the car off. We had snow and after the bad weather this problem started.

Do you lock the car up, or is it in a garage?

Not in a garage. Locked.

are you talking about the door ajar warning on the cluster, or the dome light in the ceiling?

The door ajar on the cluster. It does not stay on when we drive it just on when we turn the car off.
Ok when the car is running the door ajar light on the cluster works like it should but when we turn the car off the door ajar light in the cluster comes on and stays on. We unpluged each door ajar switch one at a time but unplugging them does not make the light go off. It causes the door lights to stay on which runs the battery down .

I'm going to have to opt out and see if someone else has seen something like this- odd that it would not happen when car is running.

Mazda Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It's possible that you could have a body controller issue but it may also be wiring.

Do you have a scan tool to monitor BCM data?

No i do not have a scan tool???

A scan tool will most likely be needed for an accurate diagnosis.

Have you checked for a short to ground on the ajar switch circuits with the switches unplugged?

No but if we start the car the door ajar light goes off. We openned and closed each door and the door ajar light worked properly while running. As soon as we turn the car off the light comes on and stays on before we even open the door.

That makes it likely to be a BCM problem if no ajar switch circuit is actually grounded, but a scan tool would be needed to see if the BCM was actually seeing a door open or not. If not then the issue would have to be in the BCM. The ajar switch circuits should be tested for ground with the switches unplugged if a scan tool isn't available.

If the BCM was actually seeing a door was open then that circuit could be concentrated on, and if the circuit wasn't grounded when the BCM thought it was then the problem is in the BCM.