Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 1995 Miata with 210,000…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 1995 Miata with 210,000 miles on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When the engine is cold (sitting overnight) it smokes very, very much until the engine warms up. I spent $1900. to have the valve seals replaced but it still smokes just as much. The cylinder compression is O.K.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
1/26/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases if the smoke clears up after running the engine then that usually means the valve stem seals are still leaking or you have bad rings on the pistons. If you pull the spark plugs are you finding them to be oil fouled? Post back and we can work from there.

no-the plugs are not fouled

Okay then I would have them recheck the valve stem seals.

how do you recheck the valve stem seals?

I would start first with pulling the spark plug after it has sat over night before you run the engine and see if you have any signs of oil on them. It the seals are leaking there should be signs of oil on at least one side of them.

if there are no signs of oil-then what----also, are the valve seals the same for both the intake and exhaust valves?

The seals are the same on both valves and if there is no sign of oil on the spark plugs then your likely looking at worn piston rings which is highly likely with the amount of miles you have on the engine.

a compression check was made and did not indicate low compression

Worn oil rings will not affect compression . There are 2 set of rings on each piston that control compression and one set of oil rings. It has to be either the valve stem seals or the piston rings. From your description it sure sounds like valve stem seals.

If the valve stem seals are new, how can they be leaking?

They can still leak if you have excessive play with the valve guides.

Is there any way to test if the valve guides have excessive play---also, when the engine warms up, it stops emitting smoke.

The only way to test the valve stems and guides would be to pull the head and have a machine shop check them. The type of smoking you getting sure dose sound like the valves. In most cases if the rings where bad it would smoke all the time.

Is it possible that the technician who installed the new valve stem seals did not install them correctly?

It would be pretty hard to do but yes, its always a possibility.

Do you have any advice as to what I should say to the shop that replaced the seals?

Yea, I would be asking them why its still smoking just as bad as it was when they told you the seals where the cause . If they actually replaced them it should have stopped smoking it the valve guides are okay.

Could the PCV or EGR valves be implicated in this problem?

The PCV may bit its not likely, if it was stuck you would see smoke all the time. The EGR would have no role in it at all.

If there is excessive play in the valve guides, would this problem be eliminated when the engine warmed up?

No, not in most cases. Bad guides will actually cause the engine to run poorly as well.

Actually, the engine runs great---If the problem is with the oil rings, would adding a product like "Sea Foam" to the oil be of any benefit?

I do not think its a problem with the oil rings and sea foam would not work if it was. Are you 100% sure they replaced the valve steams?

They seem like honest people--but I have no way of knowing for sure---Grasping at straws, could the head bolts possibly have lost their tension and need to be re-torqued?
Note: They did not remove the head when they replaced the valve stem seals
Mazda Mechanic: ,  replied 2 years ago
Phone call session started

If the head was loose you would loose compression. The head dose not need to be removed to replace the seals.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician