Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

I have a Mazda 3 SP25 sedan manual transmission. The vehicle

Customer Question

Hi
I have a Mazda 3 SP25 sedan manual transmission. The vehicle is 3 years old and recently I'm experiencing gear shifting issues intermittently. The problem is by the time I get the car to a dealer all is fine and I'm unable to replicate the fault. A full diagnostics was run on the car which cost me an additional $170 found no faults. On some occasions I'm unable to get the car into 1st or 2nd gear then 2 km down the road all is fine.
Is this a common fault? What should i ask the dealers to check or reset?
Thanks!
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

This would have to be an issue with the clutch master cylinder or the slave cylinder. If you are unable to change gears with the engine running that indicates the clutch is not doing it's job. Because it's not happening all the time, this tells me the actual clutch on the car is not the issue. There is either an air bubble in the hydraulics for the clutch, or the parts that make it work are failing. Sadly, it is probably going to have to get worse to be diagnosed properly.

I would ask the dealer to try bleeding the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. Then drive the car and see if the condition persists. If it does, the I would wait until it's consistent enough to have them actually feel the problem and get you squared away. I know it's a hassle to do that of course, but in this case it might be the only way to get it sorted without just replacing a bunch of parts.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!