Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I am having an issue with my 07 Mazda 3 2.3l manual. When

Customer Question
Hello, I'm Nick I am having...
Hello, I'm Nick
I am having an issue with my 07 Mazda 3 2.3l manual. When the temperature outside is below freezing my car makes a squeak at 20km\h. It only makes the sound the first time passing 20km\h then it's fine. It is a very loud chirp or squeak and only lasts for less than a second. Almost the sound from a slipping belt but very quick. I'm wondering if something starts or turns on at 20km/h, what do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
1/9/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

I want to say its a possible belt slip from a weak tensioner, but I do not see how its speed related. Does this occur during a gear change? Is it something you can also feel?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Moose,
It is not something I can feel in the car but only hear. It happens in 1st gear, 2nd gear, and because I live on a steep hill I tested it passing 20 in neutral and it still squeeks.
i also wanted to add that in icy conditions when braking, hard if one tire tries to lock up(mainly passenger front) it squeals very loud. It sounds the same as the 20km chirp but much much longer, anywhere from 2-5seconds depending on braking.
I tried researching this before stumbling upon this website. There is one owner in Toronto on a Mazda forum that has the same issue but no solutions yet. Other than that it's a pretty rare problem for our little Mazda's
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you'd like I can try to remember to record the sound tomorrow morning. Maybe if you hear it in a video or something you can further diagnose what it may be.

A recording would help. Since it occurs in neutral idling and gaining speed. That rules out the engine and transmission. If you barely drag the brakes coasting downhill can you feel it in the pedal, possibly from an ABS weird activation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Havent tried that one yet, I can check it in the morning, I would do it now but it's warm from the drive home and therefore would not squeak.

No problem, just report back when ready.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, I recorded the sound but this website will not allow me to upload it. I took a video with my iPhone, should be a common enough format. Is there any other way I can send this to you?

We can swap to private contact through email but there is a 12$ charge for that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any other way I can get this sound to you? I rather not pay $12 to send a video of a sound
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I placed the video online. See if you can get it with this link below. The sound is in the last couple seconds. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byn07mTq_7ZYRXR0emtVSUNDTDQ

Is it the noise at 25 seconds to blame?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is the one

I can hear it well, though I can say I have never heard that noise before. I really need my ears in the vehicle and or a listening device to pinpoint where on the vehicle it is originating from. Its not the brakes, steering, suspension, engine, or transmission best I can tell. I feel it may be a EVAP valve or EGR valve opening for the first time on this startup. Anyway you can get the vehicle on a rack or stands to see if you can duplicate the noise.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have jack stands, would that be good enough?

They sure will be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok sounds good. I can get them up on the stands, but where would you like the video taken from? Pointing in a certain location under the hood? Or on the front wheels? Tricky thing is I don't have many chances in a day to replicate the noise.

First I just want to see if the noise will occur doing this. If so open the hood and have a helper listen to see if they an pinpoint the origin.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Moose,
Ive been unable to replicate the noise for the last 3 days as the weather has been hovering around 0. When the weather drops I will try to test this method with having a second person listening for the noise.

Thanks for the update, the post is set to time out and close on the 15th. So if I do not hear back from you, thanks for letting me try to help and earn a rating.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician