Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2000 Mazda B2500 truck, 87000 miles on it. I am

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mazda B2500 truck, 87000 miles on it. I am having an intermediate starting problem. turn the key on and sometimes hear the fuel pump cycle and sometimes not. I cycle the ignition switch several times to get the fuel pump to cycle and then it will start. once it starts, it runs just fine. replaced fuel pump relay and ignition switch but, still same problem.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

When this happens does it always crank?

Does the instrument cluster always energize?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
always crank and instrument panel.

Thanks, ***** ***** much rules out the ignition switch. Does this occur often enough you can remove the relay and see what inputs are missing or check the power flow through the inertia switch to see if its not getting powered up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its so intermidiate that its had to pinpoint!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard

Do you understand wire diagrams and wire testing? If so I can provide this circuits diagram so you can test it when it completely fails or gets worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please

Super, see the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/mazdaB2500.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you heard of this issue before? Is it possible that it could be the fuel pump?

Yes I have had to diagnose this issue before. It is not always the same thing to blame, thus my reluctance to say replace X. I have to more so test things to find out what is not to blame to narrow it down to what is to blame. Yes the pump can be the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check voltage just as soon as I can. Normally when a pump dies, then its done. Is it possible that it could be electrical contacts on the pump causing this intermediate issue?

Not always true, a pump can have intermittent operation but that normally occurs when restarting when the pump is already hot from prior use. Yes it is possible for a connector to have some corrosion causing resistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well now when start it up today, its spitting and spuddering not wanting to run that well. Give it gas and is acting like its running on two cylinders.

Can you check the fuel pressure?

IS the vehicle in need of a tune up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will see if I can get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge from a friend. It does not need a tune up, I have taken really good care of it and also did timing belt a couple of years ago. When it does finally start, it runs good and strong until today. I have been dealing with this intermittent starting problem for a few months and it just seems to be getting worse. After the way it acted today, I really am thinking the pump is going out. Also, seem to be getting good 12 volts all the way to the pump.

Thanks, ***** ***** know the results of the next tests so we can get to figuring this out.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been a busy work week. I cannot seem to get my hands on a fuel pressure checker. Nowhere here in my little town loans them out. Is there any thing else I could do troubleshooting this?

You could test the power and ground to the pump monitoring it with a multimeter ran into the cab to see if you lose these when it stalls or you could just replace the pump in hopes thats it.