Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I bought a 2004 RX8 4 months ago and have had no problems

Customer Question
Customer: Hi, this is Bob...
Customer: Hi, this is Bob. I bought a 2004 RX8 4 months ago and have had no problems with it until a couple of weeks ago. Drove home from work and parked in the driveway. A few hours later went out to move it into the garage and it would not start, just turns over. It does sound like it has no compression or is just turning. I did do all of the procedures for starting a flooded engine with no success. I have not had time to work on it until now so it has just been sitting in the garage. I tried spraying some starter fluid in the intake so see if i had any spark with no success, same issue. Fuel pump seems to be good although i have not tested pressure but think i should get something even if pressure is low. I am a pretty good "backyard" mechanic and have worked on many cars but the rotary is a new animal for me. I have also had a friend tell me that it sounds like my immobilizer system is triggered, how do i reset that? Looking for next steps to troubleshoot - any help would be appreciated. thanks.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just acts like there is no spark or something. I dont think it is flooded as i dont smell any gas and it has been sitting for a while and i tried the flooded engine procedures.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
1/5/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

There are a few steps we can do at this point. Can you check the fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse?

Can you check the compression?

Is the theft light on or blinking with the key in the run position?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chris, thanks for the direction. I don't have equipment to check the fuel pleasure or compression. I did put a tester on the spark plug wires and I do have power but did not pull the plugs to see if the are actually sparking. How would I test and what is the injector pulse? The theft light does go off when the key is turned to on and I tried a door only key and the light will blink rapidly so I don't think I have a problem with the theft system - looks like the key is working as I also had spark. At this point would the next step be to replace the spark plugs and wires? My thought is that if I have power from the coils but got nothing when I tried starting fluid my plugs may be faulty. Thanks.

You need to remove a plug and reconnect it and ground it, then crank the engine to verify there is spark being made. If the ignition components are older than 70,000 miles, I do recommend replacing them. Injector pulse is the computer telling the injectors to spray fuel. You unplug an injector, plug up a noid light, crank the engine and verify the light flashes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks Chris, sorry for the delay. I was able to test the fuel pressure and it is at 54psi. from what I can find it looks like the pressure should be 55-65lbs - could this be the cause of my problem? thanks.

I would be fine with a 54 psi reading. It is close enough. Any luck on the other tests?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I have not been able to work on it for a few days. I am hoping to get to it this weekend. Thanks

Your welcome

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician