Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  17 years shop owner import
29331485

01 Miata only starts on Starter spray, runs great once

Customer Question

01 Miata only starts on Starter spray, runs great once started. Happened after emissions...
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, Nope Check engine light is not on. Car runs perfectly normal. Just won't start without a quick 1 sec blast of either. Once started runs great. I have had the fuel pump and cam position sensor changed out in the past 3 years. No issues at all running down the road. It often re-starts fine once warm, but will need starter spray to start when cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spray the either directly into the air intake horn, no need to remove air filter or anything, starts right up just fine, then runs perfectly.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you .

Most common for this issue is the coolant temp sensor ,

I would just buy a new OE sensor and fit and try before paying for a complete diagnostic scan at the dealer .

this is not an expensive part so worth doing the original is 2001 ?? so nothing lost if this is not the problem .

Still having issue then please get back to me .

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more",
please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Greg, Do you have the part number for my 2001 Miata Coolant Temperature Sensor? I want to be sure that I get the exact one that you are recommending. FYI- this issue started occurring immediately after I had my last emission test. Do you think that something might have been left disconnected or not properly re-connected after the test? It started perfectly every time for the last 3 days, except once. It is highly intermittent. No Check engine light.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Intermittent could be because of the temp ? not being the same every time .

Buy the sensor at the dealers you will be sure to get the right one .

You really never know where the online come from could be copy's .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg, I installed the OEM Coolant Temperature Sensor last night. This morning at 58degrees, the car still would not start. What do you recommend that I try next?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay good the temp sensor was the typical issue.

Here are other possibility's that must be checked .

Fuel pressure first thing in the morning must be checked ,your fuel may be returning back to the tank so fuel pressure gauge check with ignition ON at first morning start. should go up to around 40psi .(possible fuel regulator malfunction)

Malfunctioning crankshaft sensor (will not set a code)

Bad PCV valve

MAF sensor

EGR system.

Restricted exhaust system.

Do these checks then get back to me .

Rgds Greg