peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Ew. I just replaced the AT speed sensor in my girlfriends 05

Customer Question

Hi Drew. I just replaced the AT speed sensor in my girlfriends 05 Mazda 3 2.3L. Got everything back together and went to take it for a test drive. Transmission banged hard going into reverse out of the driveway, then put it in Drive and it went to 3rd gear immediately. Pleeeeease help!
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In a reeeal pinch. If nobody can answer in next few minutes,I gotta go elsewhere. I thought somebody was live and ready.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.I need a little more info to assist better,

Did you double check and make sure nothing electrical or mechanical was bumped loose or damaged when you replaced this sensor?

Is the check engine light on at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pretty sure nothing was messed up. It was an easy swap. Engine light and AT light were on before, and are still on now.

Do you have the part number for this sensor that was installed and was this the output speed sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bought at Napa. Part#(###) ###-####(Vehicle Speed Sensor) Instaled on top of transmission, had to remove battery box

O.k.,the one below the battery box is the input/turbine speed sensor.Is this the one you wanted to replace and did the old sensor look like the new one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The old sensor looked exactly like the new one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there another one somewhere?

O.k.,my info for your model here on Napa's web site shows that the sensor number you need is(###) ###-####Does it look like this sensor in the picture below.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Transmission-Speed-Sensor/_/R-NDP6006229_0520345627They do show that both fit so I need to make sure the correct one was installed.

The(###) ###-####shows it is the input speed sensor which is the sensor you replaced.The other one the(###) ###-####just says it is a speed sensor.The first thing I would do is have them double check they sold you the correct sensor for the correct location you installed it in at the transmission which is the input speed sensor location.If they did then you would want to check and make sure you didn't bend any terminals in the sensor connector or sensor itself when you plugged it in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That looks exactly like it. Are there 2 places for these on this vehicle or something? I'm confused regarding the input/output

Looking at the info I show on this here it looks like only one sensor is installed which is the one under the battery.Which one looks like yours the first link or second link below.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Transmission-Speed-Sensor/_/R-NDP6006229_0520345627

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Vehicle-Speed-Sensor/_/R-NDP6006228_0520349320

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's the second one. #6228

O.k.,then the correct one was installed.I don't see a relearn needed once it is replaced it is pretty straight forward so this leads me to believe something was either bumped loose when the replacement was done,the connector isn't seated fully into the sensor or the terminals were bent in the sensor when the connector was plugged in or the new replacement sensor you received is faulty needing replaced.

I would re check the work done and the connection at the sensor for bent terminals and if all of this is o.k. I suspect the replacement you received is faulty needing replaced again.Napa should be able to parts warranty this sensor for you at no cost to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.