Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

My 1990 Miata died. We put in a new fuel pump. It started

Customer Question

My 1990 Miata died. We put in a new fuel pump. It started but idled really low 1 or below. When I gave it gas it stopped running every time I gave it gas.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It gave a code 26
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The problem you are describing sound like you may still have a problem with the fuel pressure, are you able to connect a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure from the new pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but my mechanic might. We were baffled by the code 26. Does a solenoid make the car shut off when you give it gas?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The purge control solenoid should not shut the engine off when you give it fuel. The problem sounds like the new pump may still not be producing enough pressure, have him check the fuel pressure first, normal pressure at idle needs to be 30 to 38 PSI and not drop below 30 PSI. If the pressure checks oky then have him remove the hoses from the solenoid and see if it will now run normal. The code 26 is usually set due to a failing purge control solenoid. In most cases replacing the solenoid will resolve this code.