peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

2006 RX-8, 6 port/6spd manual with ABS light,((BRAKE)),

Customer Question

2006 RX-8, 6 port/6spd manual with ABS light,((BRAKE)), Power Steering light, CEL all come on. Transmission starts to get notchy and car starts to run rough. After the lights refused to disappear after reset, I checked the battery and noticed it was overcharged so I replaced alternator. All lights were off for 9.0 miles, transmission became notchy again and all lights came on. Car read 0MPH this time also. Any ideas?
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also scanned for codes - U0121 - ABS communication lost and a P0443 - Evap code.
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the battery itself has become damaged due to the over charge issue this can cause a voltage issue which will affect electronics in your vehicle and can cause issues like this here.If you did not have the battery charged to see if it is faulty needing replaced this needs done.Check and make sure the battery cables themselves are also clean and tight.

If this is or was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced battery and alternator.

If you clear out the fault codes above then try and operate the vehicle do both of these codes come back at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they came back as explained in the original paragraph.

O.k.,I just wanted to make sure they are a continuous fault.

The U code is the big one here that may be causing the issues.This is a loss of communication code where the PCM (engine computer) cannot communicate with the ABS (anti lock brake system).Whenever communication issues occur this causes confusion and electrical faults between computers and in some cases their components as well.

Inspect the wiring harness at the PCM as well as the ABS and in between running from both of these to see if any wiring is found at fault here.If you find no wiring issues and no electrical connection issues and all fuses are good in all fuse panels I have seen the anti lock brake computer itself fail internally needing replaced.With no communication or operation of the anti lock brake ecu this will cause all the lights and even transmission issues you see here.

Code P0443 indicates a fault the purge solenoid itself or the wiring to the solenoid being damaged needing located and repaired.In most cases the evap purge solenoid needs replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check into this again. None of these items were damaged. Im just going to have the car towed to mazda/.

O.k.,if there is anything else I can help with here let me know and feel free to rate my help if you like.

Thanks Pete