Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

On my '95 Miata, the release mechanism fuel door just

Customer Question

On my '95 Miata, the release mechanism for the fuel door just failed. How do I get to it for a repair? Do I need to buy a part or parts to fix it? If so, what is the part and the cost?
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question
When you pull on the fuel door release handle, do you feel the normal resistance? If not you need to check that cable is not broken at the handle. If it is, you can grasp the broken cable end with vise grips and pull it to release the door. Then you will need to replace either cable if its broken, or the handle if it is broken where the cable attaches it.
If the cable is attached, then you will need to use a thin screwdriver between the fuel door where the latch is at and the body and pry back on the door until it clears the latch.
Then you can remove the screws for the fuel filler and look to see if the cable is broken or the latch is broken and replace as needed.