FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

I have a 2008 Mazda 3s automatic with 54k miles. Just

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mazda 3s automatic with 54k miles. Just tonight, I started my car, shifted out of park into reverse and my car jerked. When I looked at my dash, the engine and AT lights are on. My car can hardly speed up to 40 mph. I am scheduled to have someone take a look at it at a local Mazda dealership on Friday but just want to prepare myself for the expense. Will my whole transmission need to be replaced?
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did a transmission flush at 30k miles and am not scheduled for another one until I hit 60k miles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to add that the gear indicator light is also not coming on on the dash.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. There are several things that can cause this but most of the time it is not a sudden transmission failure. The most common cause of this is a transmission position sensor. That is usually only a few hundred dollars to replace. If the car is drive-able you can take it to one of your local auto parts stores and have then read the codes. Most will do this for free. If you have this done bring me the codes and I can tell you with more certainty what to expect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not comfortable driving the car given its current speed limitations. Is it possible for the transmission to fail at such low mileage coupled with meticulous maintenance? I mean I do all the recommended oil changes, tire rotation/alignment, and fluid flushes on schedule.
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 1 year ago.

It is not common at all, but I have seen it. If you have taken care of it and are not hard on it then it should not be something too serious. I have also seen a failing battery cause similar symptoms on this car.