Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

2000 Miata with only 49,000 miles on it. The battery is just

Customer Question
2 years old. Auto zone...
2000 Miata with only 49,000 miles on it. The battery is just 2 years old. Auto zone say it's fine as is the starter and alternator. It keeps needing jumped. What's wrong with it???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
9/4/2015
Mazda Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and thank you for visiting the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

If for some reason you don’t wish to rate the answer please state in a post that you are happy with the answers and the service I have provided so that I can send it in as a no click rating and get paid for my time, thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic