Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV with approx. 80,000 miles. After a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV with approx. 80,000 miles. After a recent rip of about 300 miles, the vehicle was acting as though it was running out of fuel. It did not respond to the thottle at light acceleration, and only when you stepped on it hard, would it accelerate at all. It has now reduced itself to an idle, but will not react to the accelerator other than to try to accelarate but with a hollow air induction sound at the air cleaner but no RPM beyond 2000.
I have changed the fuel pump and filter sock, but get the same reaction. I don't think there is a secondary fuel filter, but don't now this for a fact.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible the throttle position sensor has gone bad?. I thought the check engine light would come on if this were the case, but no check engine light has come on. Just acts like an older carbureated engine that is starving for fuel.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
You are correct, in most cases if the TP sensor was failing the check engine light would come on. You are correct as well about the fuel filter as its located in the fuel pump assembly. If you suspect the problem is a fuel pressure concern then the next step would be to run a fuel pressure test, normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 55 PSI to 65 PSI. Let do this first to at least rule out a pressure concern and post back with the results and we can work from there.