Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Experience:  30-years experience auto and truck repair.
13630601

Ed - my daughter has a Mazda CX-7 2008 with 127k miles.

Customer Question

hi Ed - my daughter has a Mazda CX-7 2008 with 127k miles. We are driving back from FL. Her engine light came On. They checked the gas cap to make sure it was secure. They are approx 2.5 hours from home. Do we need to be concerned about them continuing to drive?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Arench replied 2 years ago.
Good morning my name is***** you for your patience. The check engine light is a malfunction indicator set on by your car's engine control computer.The computer monitors all engine, transmission and emissions system components as well asperforming logic tests as you drive. One or more components or tests is out of range. There are actually well over 100 differentreasons for the light to come on. The computer sets and stores a code which can beretrieved by a scan tool to aid in diagnosis. Mechanics and some auto parts stores have these toolsand this procedure of scanning for codes is quite commonplace by mechanics, and motorists alike. Once the code(s) are known then a diagnosis and repair can begin. If the check engine light is flashing this indicates an engine misfire which is a serious conditionrequiring urgent action to be taken on your part. If the light is not flashing then there is a good chance there is an emissions system relatedmalfunction and you can investigate the cause in a timely but not emergency manner,making it okay to drive without further damage. The most frequently appearing fault codefor this Mazda is P0401 which translates into an EGR system fault, part of the pollution control system. There is know way to know the true nature of your car's problem until the fault code(s) is/are retrieved.General mechanics are pretty good at dealing with this type of common "check engine light" complaint.