Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Mazda 626 DX: 2002 mazda 626 2.0L 4cyl. I/m monitors will

Customer Question

2002 mazda 626 2.0L 4cyl.
I/m monitors will not clear
Car has been driven 1000+ miles same concern.
Monitors are: evap system monitor
Egr monitor
Catalyst monitor.
No codes present , pending , or history.
Car runs just as good as the day we purchased from dealership
Car has 249456 miles and has had engine replaced 2 times and trans 3 times all previous to this current emission testwhich this would be the first year this car did not have to run the dyno just an idle test new and werid please help i dont have much hair left to pull out
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Is the check engine light on?
Have you driven the condition based drive cycle, or just driving it regular for 1000 miles?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please read complaint before responding
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
Please re-read and reply to the questions so that I may help.
Just because there are no codes pending, present, or in history, does NOT mean that the check engine light is not on. I have seen the check engine light set with no codes before, which prevents the monitors from setting.
You make NO mention of whether you did a condition based drive cycle or not.
I carefully read each question and if PERTINENT information is not provided by the customer, I ask for this information for a reason. I dont waste my time or your time by asking frivolous questions.
If you would like help with this, I need to know the answers to those questions I asked.
If you dont want to answer these questions, that is fine, but I will opt out at that point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No check engine light on as far as driving for the condtion ive beendriving as the smog guy instructed me too drive
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
I never do understand why smog station people tell customers to just drive the vehicle for X amount of miles. These vehicles require a specific, condition based drive cycle to set the monitors to readiness.
It is very important to perform the following drive cycle exactly as stated, in the order stated.
For best results, you need between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel.
Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run. (let it sit overnight)
Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the evap monitor
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
HI,
That is the Air and Purge referred to in the drive cycle
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eric,
Sorry its been awhile but ive been busy with work and what not . Your specfic instructions were followed to the t and still no change in my concern moniters inc. Evap and egr what more info do you need