Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

Mazda 3: 2004 manual Mazda 3. Speedometer drops to zero and

Customer Question

2004 manual Mazda 3. Speedometer drops to zero and then power steering warning light comes on. Occasionally actually loose the power steering. Shut car off and restart and it's OK again for a while. When this first happened, i replaced the battery which when tested showed a bad cell. Car was OK for about 2 weeks the the problem started up again.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.Have you had it checked for codes? If not that would be the best place to start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had the codes checked. It's throwing all kinds of codes, none of which make any sense according to a few mechanics I've talked to.
Care to share them with me and let me form my own opinion?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll have them reprinted and get back to you later today or tomorrow.
Sounds good. I will be standing by. THanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just had the codes re- read. Code showing is P0500. This would indicate a faulty VSS. OK, I understand that causing the speedometer dropping out, but what's causing the power steering indicator to come on and the power steering to cease functioning. By the way, when I just had these codes read, the speedometer was working and the power steering warning indicator was not lit. I also had one other code -P0455 which I know has something to do with the emissions, but that code is not my main concern right now.
You may need to get the power steering code while its acting up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's been the problem all along. When I get it to a place where they can read the codes, they shut the engine down and the symptoms go away. One mechanic took the car and drove it for 4 days and the problem didn't occur. Then a few days after I got it back, it happened again.
Inspect the #4 Body Ground Point (found under the hood on the right side frame rail, just forward of the #3 Engine Mount). Verify that the #4 Body Ground Point bolt is tight and the #4 Body Ground Wire is secure to the frame. If the connection is loose, remove the bolt, clean the contacts and reinstall the ground wire, making sure to tighten the bolt.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try that and let you know. Thanks.
No problem. I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked the connection. It was definitely not loose, but we did remove the bolt, cleaned it up and reconnected. No problem has occurred, but then I've not driven it very far today, but I'm pretty sure that was not it. Any other ideas of what it might be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took the car on the highway today. No symptoms for a while, but on my trip back home, when I hit 60 mph, the speedometer started going crazy - down to 0 then up to 60 then down to 0 and so on. Then the power steering warning light came on. About 3 miles down the road I exited the highway and came to a stop complete stop and the stoplight. The warning light went off and the speedometer began working again. Never lost the power steering.