Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda Miata: , thanks.Took the Miata to Ford, no Mazda

Customer Question
Hi, thanks. Took the Miata to...
Hi, thanks.
Took the Miata to Ford, no Mazda dealer in town, and they think it is better to take it to Mazda. This has happened before like it is not getting gas, it cranks ok. Today I tried enough to drain the battery so had to jump start it. Once it finally starts it runs ok. A few week ago I had about 1/8 of a gas tank and it quit several times, wait a little and it started again for a half mile or so, once I got to a gas station and filled up it did fine until today. Had a full tank today though. What's wrong you think?. New spark plugs, way old gas filter, (but runs well at highway speed), time for an oil change. It was hot today but other times it has been ok weather.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
6/19/2015
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order for the engine to start and run you need good spark to the plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure (53 to 61 PSI). In order to determine why it will not start you are going to need to check each and see which one you are lacking. If you can have this done and post back with the results I can help you determine the cause. That being said, there is one common problem on some Miatas with a bad fuel pressure regulator and Mazda has released a service bulletin dealing with the proper repair. I have enclosed it in the link below for your review as it may be the problem you are having. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Fuel%20pressure%20regualtor%20Jun%2019.pdf
Ron, ASE Certified Technician