Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda Rx8: mate, I've got a 2007 RX8, I plugged the

Customer Question
Hi mate, I've got a 2007...
Hi mate,
I've got a 2007 RX8, I plugged the car up to the computer & it said misfire cylinder 2 so I checked everything & 1 of the coils was producing a useless spark so I replaced the coils, leads & plugs a couple of days ago but the engine management light still flashes now & again for about 2 or 3 seconds plug the car in & it says misfire cylinder 1 now... but it doesn't seem to be misfiring at all... no loss of power... very odd!
Cheers,
Chris
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mazda
6/15/2015
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 3 years ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer
Hello
this might be the old fault code that needs clearing off the system
So if you have a diagnostic tool to do this then I'd suggest trying that 1st
I'd also suggest checking over the injector wiring and connector for any corrosion and damage
and would also be a good idea to do a compression test on both chambers to check the engine is sealing OK
To properly test the engine's cranking compression pressure the battery must be fully charged, the starter in good condition, and the engine must be at normal operating temperature. Testing the cranking compression with the engine cold will most likely produce a false (higher than correct) reading. Remove all four spark plug wires to prevent the engine from firing. Next, remove the leading spark plugs (bottom plugs) only.
Unless you are able to start the engine using a remote engine starter, have an assistant crank the engine during the test. First, crank the engine with the throttle wide open to purge the housings of any liquid. Insert a compression gauge (if so equipped, disable the gauge's feature which retains the highest reading) into one of the leading spark plug holes and crank the engine long enough to obtain at least eight (8) compression pulses. Repeat the test on this chamber at least once more to confirm your readings. Insert the gauge in the remaining leading spark plug hole and repeat the test procedure.
If you see an increase in the cranking compression reading in increments that become smaller at a uniform rate, this indicates even compression on all sides of that rotor. On the other hand, if the cranking compression increases or decreases in erratic steps there is a fault with one or more seals in that rotor. For example, one higher cranking compression pulse followed by two lower cranking compression pulses followed by another higher cranking compression pulse followed by two lower cranking compression pulses strongly suggests the failure of one apex seal, corner seal, and/or side seal set. Continuous low cranking compression pulses strongly suggest the failure of at least two apex seal, corner seal and/or side seal sets.
Based on our experience, with the engine "hot", the compression pressures for a healthy engine are as follows:
- Normal compression - 110-150 PSI
- Minimum acceptable pressure - 75 PSI
- Maximum acceptable pressure difference between chambers - 20 PSI
Hi
do you still need help?