Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Mazda: Miata no oil pressure after replacing timing belt and

Customer Question
Miata no oil pressure after...
Miata no oil pressure after replacing timing belt and water pump
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mazda
6/11/2015
Mazda Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
Have you verified the oil pressure sensor is connected? If it is have you put a mechanical pressure gauge in place of the sensor to verify what it is sending?
Let me know so I can help
Thank you
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I am sorry I am unable to speak on the phone, please let me know how I can help you here.
Thank you
Engine sounds like thrashing machine defiantly no oil pressure
That is a little late then.
Did the belt break or was it replaced for maintenance?
Same question for the waterpump?
Shop or DIY job and if DIY have you replaced other timing belts?
What year is the Miata?
Shop for bad water pump they replaced timing belt at my requesti
OK, what year is the vehicle?
1993 1.6 liter
Did the shop do any other work? Fluid change or something that would involve draining fluids?
Don' think so
OK, there is nothing changing the timing belt or the waterpump would have to do with the oiling system.
How was the engine before the waterpump went? Was it blowing blue smoke? Any sludge? Did it get driven regularly?
45 psi when cold 35 when warm driven in summer once a month
That sounds like there may have been quite a bit of sludge buildup.
So what is the question here? You are in a dispute with the shop about the oil pressure and you want to know if it is due to the work that was done?
There is no overlap on the oiling system and the waterpump/timing belt.
Unless they didn't refill the cooling system or punched a hole in the oil pan raising and lowering the engine to do the belt job they should not be the cause of a low oil pressure problem.
Please let me know how I can help you with your question
Thank you
You answered what I needed to know thank you
OK, I understand this is a tough situation. I am not there to see what exactly was done but unless it is something outside the realm of normal repair or one of the shop rats took it out for a quick spin after the job was done and missed a couple of shifts changing the waterpump and timing belt should not have anything to do with the oiling of the engine.
Please let me know if you have further questions'
Thank you
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician