Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda Miata MX-5: My 2006 Miata MX-5 goes totaly dead every…

Customer Question
My 2006 Miata MX-5 goes...
My 2006 Miata MX-5 goes totaly dead every once in around 10 times that I start the car. I then have to quickly disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset the computer and the car will come alive and start up. Do I have to change the ECU?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mazda
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/10/2015
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
An ECU failure would be quite common based on this information. Do you have a scan tool?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
I have several ODB2 readers but they did not provide me any clues to the source of the problem.
Are they unable to connect or are they giving no codes?
They connect and show everything is normal.
Are you scanning it after a failure, I ask because when you disconnect the battery, all codes are erased.
When it has the problem the car is completely dead and nothing works. The instrumentation is dead also.
I do not believe I can figure this out, not in person to experience it and diagnose it at that time.