Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda MX-5 Miata: Installed new fuel pump...nothing....installed…

Customer Question
Installed new fuel pump...nothing....installed fuel...
Installed new fuel pump...nothing....installed fuel pump relay.....nothing The lead wires to the pump in the tank are blue and black. Black is neg am I correct. Just want to be sure I wired it correctly.
Initially I was at a stop at a gate and it just stopped running
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mazda
6/5/2015
Mazda Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 3 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Hi there. Welcome to our site.
Yes, Black is negative, Red/Blue carries power from the relay.
What made you change the fuel pump? Low or no fuel pressure?
The car just stopped running while stopped. I thought fuel stopped flowing. So,pumps new, pump relay is new. Still not running. I haven't done the in line fuel filter yet. Any suggestions or thoughts.
I would recommend a more practical diagnostic approach that in the end might save you a ton of work and money.
To do that, you'll need to check what's missing; fuel, spark or compression. Begin by spraying choke cleaner/starting fluid down the open throttle. If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds, then you'll know the problem to be fuel related. In which case you'll need a Noid Lite and a fuel pressure tester to determine if the issue is related to fuel control (computer/wiring/injectors) or delivery (pump/relay/wiring).
Noid Lites sell for less than $20 at most major auto parts stores. Fuel pressure testers can be borrowed from same stores through their loan-a-tool programs.
I'll be more than happy to guide you through any diagnostic procedures once you get the necessary tools.