Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda 3 SP23: 2005 Mazda3 SP23 with factory HID headlights.

Customer Question
2005 Mazda3 SP23 with factory...
2005 Mazda3 SP23 with factory HID headlights. Driver side HID fuse keeps blowing. What are the likely causes? HID bulb, igniter/ballast, short, etc.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Mazda
6/2/2015
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
Yes, I am hoping for a response before my dealer appointment Thursday morning for this issue. What would be helpful is advice on Is this problem likely to be difficult to diagnose or are there one or two known common issues that would probably solve the problem? Thanks!
Hi
Open the fie below to see the diagrams I am using.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/05mazdahead.pdf
Is it the low or high beam fuse failing?
If you unplug the headlight and command it on, does the fuse still blow?
Do you have daytime running lights?
If the fuse blows with the headlight unplugged then its a wire short to ground.
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
Left low beam fuse 15 and blows. 2005 Mazda three SP 23 has factory H ID low beams only. Highbeams are regular bulbs. No DRL's. Not sure I can get to the headlight plugs. Most online instructions say to remove the bumper to access the bulbs. I can try later today. Are you familiar with possible faults for the H ID components?
You are correct the bumper cover will have to be removed to gain access to the low beam HID bulb connector to figure out if its the wiring or HID causing the fuse to fail.
I probably won't be able to remove the bumper today. (I've seen a youtube video on how to do this; seems fairly simple but let me know if there are things to look out for.)
Please let me know if the following makes sense. Possibilities include:
a) Bad HID bulb causes fuse to blow [Replace bulb]
b) Wiring to headlight shorted somewhere between headlight and fusebox [Follow wiring to find short, replace wiring]
c) Short in fusebox [Replace fusebox]
d) ?? Bad ballast or igniter?? [Is the igniter integrated with the ballast as an assembly?]
e) Any other possibilities?
A bulb can short the filament but its not common.
Very possible to be a chaffed wire.
Rare to never is there a short in the fuse box.
The ballast and igniter are integrated and a possible cause.
I took the bumper off. Unplugging the headlight then turning on the lights does not blow the fuse. I think this means there is not a short in the wiring. Let me know if a short is still possible.
I swapped the bulb from the good side to the bad. The fuse blew. I need to swap the bulb back to the good side to see if the bulb also burned out or not.
** Does this sound like the ballast is broken?
** If so, would you advise against replacing the ballast for only the one bad side? They are pricey, $600 each at the dealer but I think less than $200 online.
** Is a "rebuilt" ballast legit? I see at least one of these on Amazon. Don't see how you would rebuild an electronic part.
Gotta say, this is crazy pain for a burned out headlight. Used to be 5 minutes to change a $5 bulb.
Another question- the security/alarm dash light is now showing. I don't recall seeing a hood switch while removing the bumper, but where would the hood switch be?
I suggest a aftermarket ballast to address the concern with the lamp and fuse. Not a new one or rebuilt one.
The hood switch is on the hood latch.
Who makes replacement ballasts/igniters? I see plenty of conventional to HID conversion kits but not OEM replacement ballasts. BTW, it appears the igniter is a separate piece from the ballast, connected by wires.
Zenon is the only aftermarket HID light company I have used.
Chris, I haven't been able to work further on the car this week; I'll get back to it when I return home from my business trip this weekend. Can a bad ballast/igniter cause a bulb to blow? I did search for "Zenon" but did not find a vendor with that name.
Do you have a link?
The post is due to time out and close in 23 hours being there has not been a rating.
Yes a faulty ballast or igniter can cause bulb failure.
http://www.xenonhids.com/
xenonhids.com appears to have only conversion kits, not oem components. The ballasts they have appear to be different form factor from the factory units so it is unlikely they will mount to the factory location (back of the headlight housing). Any other ideas for sourcing the ballast?
That is the only place I know to get parts that will work, though they are a conversion. I know of no companies that sale OEM replacements.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician