FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician Trainer
1627031

Mazda my 6: I have 2003 Mazda mx 6 standard transmission with

Customer Question

I have 2003 Mazda mx 6 standard transmission with 140,000 miles that my friend gave to me after he ran it with out oil. When you start the car it idles rough and sometime stalls out. If I keep my foot on the gas until it warms up it doesn't idle as rough and then I'm able to put it in gear and go. It does knock when I drive it. The knocking doesn't seem that loud.
I know the engine is most likely toast but is there anything I can do to make it better.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  FIX IT MAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me if the knocking goes away or gets louder as you rev the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Gets louder
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I drove the car today to double check the knocking and the knocking doesn't get louder it stays the same.
Thanks
Thank you. It sounds like when he ran it low on oil he damaged a rod bearing. If it is does not get louder then the damage is there but may be minimal. If you do not want to tear into the engine all you can really due to try and buy some time is use a thicker oil like a 10-40. If you want to try and help it a little more than that you can always drop the oil pan and change the bearings and that may quiet it down some. If there is noise from the front of the engine also then you may have a failing timing chain tensioner.