Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring: I cant turn on the ignition

I can't turn on the...
I can't turn on the ignition of my MX-5 (2007). The keyless entry still worked on the doors and trunk until I changed the batteries to see if that had anything to do with it. Now nothing works. The lights still come on, so presumably it's not a battery issue, and the ignition switch is locked. Any suggestions before I have it towed to the dealer?
10/22/2013
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Make sure the steering column isn't locked and has bound up the linkage in the column. You won't have power steering but should still be able to move the wheel a little in each direction. If you are only able to move the wheel in one direction and feel a mechanical lock in the other then that may be your issue. If this is the case then with one hand move the wheel a little bit in the direction that it will move and try to turn the key forward.

If that doesn't help or the column isn't locked then the problem is most likely going to be the lock cylinder, assuming the key isn't physically damaged or excessively worn. You can try spraying some penetrating oil into the lock cylinder, run the key in and out a few times, then insert it and tap it on the end a few times. This will often free up stuck tumblers in the lock cylinder.

Thanks for the reply. The steering wheel is now locked and the ignition cap doesn't come off and does not light up.

Are you able to turn the wheel a little in each direction even though it's locked? If you're only able to turn it in one direction then turn it a little in that direction and try turning the key forward with your other hand.

I can turn it a little in each direction

In that case it doesn't' sound like the column lock is causing the key to not turn, it's most likely a lock cylinder issue.

I can't even get the key I because the plastic cap won't come off. What are my options at this point? Tow to the dealer?

I'm not certain what you're seeing. I'm showing a normal, bladed key with a lock cylinder. Is this what your car has?

It worked. Thanks so much.

Great, I'm glad to hear it!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician