Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Mazda Miata: Ok so I have a 1990 miata w/200k on the body and

Ok so I have a...
Ok so I have a 1990 miata w/200k on the body and about 8k on a rebuild when the turbo was installed..
It drove fine until last weekend. i drove to the store and on my way leaving it started just fine then died after about 3 ft.. then when I tried to start it again it would crank over but not start... I took the alternator out and had it tested, it failed so i got a new one.. tried to start it again while jumping it and the same thing, crank but not start.. trailered it home and switched out my plugs and wires again nothing. checked if my fuel pump worked, it did (also have a new fuel filter) I checked to see if it had spark, it did but it was super weak (could barely see it) but when i took the #1 plug out it was soaked (changed it out).. then ended getting a new coil pack, hooked it up but it didnt fix it either. Same thing, it would crank but not start.. tried spraying starter fluid into the intake manifold, still nothing.. Im getting 12v to the coil pack connection, I bypassed the fuel pump relay, and had the battery fully charged. Im at my wits end with why it wont start, I dont have a way to check for compression, and i havent messed with the fuel injectors.. please help. also I have a brand new ACT sensor
9/12/2013
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like you have weak spark causing the spark plugs to foul out and cause the no start here.

Since you have tried a new coil pack and the same results have occurred with a no start issue this may be the common fault of the igniter assembly itself.If this is weak or is failing it can cause weak spark like this here and would need replaced.

The crank position sensor is also involved with spark but usually if this sensor was at fault no spark would be present at all so this sounds like an igniter fault causing this.

Thanks Pete

Do you happen to know the parts number for it? I got B61P-18-251, is that what part you're talking about? or Are you saying get a new ignition lock cylinder? thanks

The igniter which is also referred to the ignition control module is a separate component from the ignition lock cylinder itself.Unfortunately my info doesn't list a part number for this igniter/ignition control module and if you speak with a parts store let them know this is the ignition control module itself.Labor time to replace it is .4 or less then a half hour.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

It ended up being a broken timing belt... thanks for your assistance!

I am sorry to hear this is a major issue but it is good to see the fault has been located.If you need anything else here let me know and feel free to rate my help above when your ready.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician