Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Mazda Protégé: 99 Mazda Protégé – The problem:

’99 Mazda Protégé – The...
’99 Mazda Protégé – The problem: intermittently it hiccups, jerks and bucks at all speeds. Jerking stops when I put in the clutch or accelerate. Sometimes it cuts out for a full second. Our mechanic did a full computer analysis. He replaced the fuel filter, all sparkplugs & wires, the coil pack and the pickup coils for the distributor. The engine light still came back on and the jerking has gotten worse. What else can we do?
9/6/2013
Amedee
Amedee, Mazda Technician
Hello and welcome!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with your question.

Was the distributor itself replaced?

Can I get the code or codes stored in the computer?

Thanks for your help. I will try to get answers to your questions by tomorrow.

Sounds good!

I will be looking forward to your reply.

Amedee

Amedee

The distributor was replaced.

There no codes stored in the computer. However, the check engine light is still on.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lincoln

Lincoln,

Thanks for that information.

If the check engine light is on, there will be a stored code in the computer?

How did you or the tech check for codes? What tool was used to check for codes?

Raymond, my mechanic check for the codes using his $800 hand held testing unit. He said that there were no codes stored in the car's computer. He said that that means the problem is probably not electrical. He has replaced everything he thought might be the problem starting with replacing the fuel filter in the gas tank.

If you have any other suggestions, he will work on the car on Monday.

The only clue I have noticed is that when it begins to jerk or cut out I can stop the jerking by putting the clutch in. .

Hello! Sorry for the delay!

If the problem started after the fuel filter in the tank was replaced, I would check fuel pressure just to be sure nothing was disturbed when doing this job.

If that checks out good, I would suspect a bad mass air flow sensor or a cracked, ripped air intake snorkel causing this condition. This sounds like a severe lean condition. This is very common. First, check for any cracks or rips in the air intake snorkel. It might just be that simple. If that checks out good, check the MASS AIR FLOW sensor next.

I hope this helps!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Mazda Technician