Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

1996 Mazda B2300: ignition switch..snapped..spring back..steering

Something in the ignition switch...
Something in the ignition switch on my 1996 Mazda B2300 snapped when starting it. Now it does not spring back or will not shut off. Alsothe steering will not lock in place. I have to pull out the 50 amp fuse to shut it down.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/8/2012
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

KALAMYKID :

this is most likely going to be the end of the ignition lock cylinder. They are bad about breaking in all ford and mazda trucks and cars. This is a very easy fix, if you have aakey, and a small punch or dental pick.

KALAMYKID :

What you willhave to do is look under the steering column and there is an access hole for the lock pin that holds the ignition switch in the column. you have to put pressure on the pin pushing upwards, turn the ignition switch till you fell the pin move up, then slide the lock out of the column.

KALAMYKID :

Then you will need to use a long pair of needle nose pllyers to turn the broken part so the piece will slide out of the hole in the back of the cylinder chamber. Then slide a new lock cylinder into the whole and you are odne.

KALAMYKID :

If you need some diagrasm of the parts that are broken, and how to do this jb, let me know and i will post them for you

KALAMYKID :

You can get a new lokc cylinder from your local auto parts store for around $40.00

KALAMYKID :

here are the two styles of lock cylinders that are used for you truck. I marked the piece that I believe has broken off in red ink.

KALAMYKID :

Full Size Image

KALAMYKID :

here is a link for a you tube video that shows you how to replace the lock cylinder, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uaWgXWOa7I .

Customer:

I am not sure that is the problem. First thing I did before writing here was remove the lock cylinder and it appears to be completely intact. The three side end is completely there and fits into the opening just fine. The cylinder does turn and will start the engine but is completely loose turning afterwards. the cylinder does lock in place in the position to remove the key. It just will not shut the engine down like the linkage between it and the electrical part of the is broken. It can be pushed but not pulled.

KALAMYKID :

Then something in the electrical part of the ignition switch has gone bad. The spring that pushes the key from start to run is bad about breaking. To correct this problem you have to replace the electricl part of the switch. DO you need the directions for replaceing the electricl switch?

Customer:

Wouldn't hurt since the directions in my Chilton's stink.

KALAMYKID :

the ignition switch itself is not that hard to replace, but it is in an aucward place to get to. There are only two bolts that hold in ont the column on the drivers side mid way down the column, but the rod that runs up to the lock cylinder can be a pain in the neck to get back into the little hole in the switch.

KALAMYKID :

I will post a break down of the steering column so yu can see exaclty where it is.

KALAMYKID :

here is what the switch itself lo

Full Size Image
oks like,

KALAMYKID :

Full Size Image

KALAMYKID :

and here is the break down of the column, the switch has a bolt in the center of the plug you have to loosen to get the plug out of the switch, then there are two bolts that hold th switch to the column, lift the old switch out, line the rod on the bottom of he switch up with the hole in the column and bolt the new switch in, plug it back up and all shoudl be well and working correctly again,

Customer:

Thanks sounds like we are headed in the right direction this time. Would that also cause the steering wheel not to lockup when the cylinder is in the locked position? Is the rod accessible from underneath?

KALAMYKID :

Full Size Image

KALAMYKID :

The ignition switch is number 50 and the two bolts are numbered 51 in the diagram

Customer:

And the rod?

KALAMYKID :

the rod is made into the ignitin switch itself. I am sorry I posted the rod went into the switch, but the rod " the metal pin in the pic of the switch" will fit into a hole in the slide bar on the column.

KALAMYKID :

Number 52 is the rod form the from the lock cylnder, and the pin on the switch fits into the rod.

Customer:

Ok, the numbers on the first two pictures are the part numbers?

Customer:

Ok

KALAMYKID :

No the numbers for the first two pics of the switch, or the numbers my pc assined the pics when i saved them, if you go to orielly's the part number for the switch is CS287, and is a borg warner part.

Customer:

The steering wheel not locking part of that problem with the switch?

KALAMYKID :

Yes. If the switch ahs come apart inside, the spring will keep the rod form comeing all the way back.

Customer:

Ok, thanks my be able to get it through the auto parts warehouse I work at if not will get it from O'Reily's.

Customer:

Thanks you have been a great help.

KALAMYKID :

The job is realy not that hard to do, just in an ocward place.

KALAMYKID :

You are very welocme.

Customer:

Aren't they always.

KALAMYKID :

Noit all of them are, but when you are the one haveing to do it, it seams like it always is.

Customer:

Thanks

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech