Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

my car alarm keeps going off draining the battery

Customer Question
my car alarm keeps going...
my car alarm keeps going off after I have the car battery power checked I turn it off but it slowly drains the battery. It never resets itself to arm again. you know the beep to set the alarm. I've taken it to 2 garages and a dealership and it still doing this, My neighbours complain so I had to disconnect my battery.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mazda
1/31/2012
Mazda Mechanic: Drew, Super Mazda Tech. replied 5 years ago
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

You will first need to verify that there is NO aftermarket remote start/alarm system installed under the dash drivers or passenger side. Inspect the fuse box, under the glove box, for any additional aftermarket wires added into the factory wiring harness and remove ALL!!

It that does not resolve the concern, I suspect that you have a faulty hood switch or door ajar switch.

If this concern is intermittent, you may have to have the Mazda dealer connect to the computer and read the data that was stored causing your alarm to sound. (usually a door switch)

You can also inspect all the door ajar switches and verify that each one will turn the dome light on/off with door open/closed.

Also make sure all doors lock/unlock with the power locks switch and key fob transmitter.

Replace any faulty parts.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions by hitting the reply button.

Thanks
Drew

The Mazda dealer did find a faulty hatch door sensor and replaced it, the dealerhas alsoinstalled a new smart junction box and reprogrammed it this was two months ago and recently the car alarm went off in the driveway and this signals that the battery is going to run down. Sure enough the alarm would not reactivate after i tried to reset it. This weekend i went to drive it and it would not start battery dead.
Relist: Answer quality.
The mazda dealer did find a faulty hatch door sensor and replaced it, the dealer has also installed a new smart junction box and reprogrammed it this was 2 months ago and recently the car alarm went off at night in the driveway and this signals that the battery is going to deplete. Sure enogh the alarm would not activate after i tried to reset it. This weekend i went to drive it and it would not start battery dead. See during the week I have a work truck and i go see my kids on the weekend out of town.
Relist: Answer quality.
followup not answered
Mazda Mechanic: Mike, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and Welcome - My name is MIKE. As you have re listed your question I will help you here..

As has been mentioned, its common to have a faulty door / bonnet switch etc - and its possible, that you even have another ! .. it does need checking for as its so common a fault...

Too - your car battery, this could be weak - weakened by whats been going on.. I dont know how old the battery is but if it more than 2-3 years, thats very possible...and a faulty battery will cause these problems you are having. The battery may be ok on a day to day basis- ie, starting the car etc - but when left it can drain off to a weak state with low static charge enough to trigger the alarm...

So the battery needs a proper test - on pro equipment which tests for voltage drop / bad / weak cells etc... If thats all it proves to be , a new battery will cure that..

So it needs to be checked for those things - but too.. as you have paid for your repairs recently, the work that has been done is under Mazda warranty... you therefore need to contact the dealer again and tell them that even after paying for what they have done, you still have the troubles you are having. It may be something other, such as the alarm unit itself being faulty - but approaching it that way, they may do reduced rates for you fir further work...

So thats the way forward for you on this one now for sure as its going to need retesting on the equipment too..

Im very pleased to have helped you - let me know if I can help anymore..

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ..Let me know if you need anything else.

Please note , you need to press the Accept button even if you are a subscriber to justanswer - thank you again.

Kind Rgds - MIKE.

I put a new battery in it and the dealer checked it the last time I was in and charged me for it. He even kept it overnight and monitored the battery power. Thus is why I don't understand what is going on. I put a new battery in the remote alarm key.

Hi again .. thank you for your reply..

Ok thats fine / good ..so that will rule out the battery issue ... I mentioned that because so often, it gets missed altogether...

So that rules that out , thats good.. Now its a case of working through the other items I mentioned to get this traced down / sorted.

We actually had one of these - same faults a while back - and this proved to be a faulty switch on the drivers door...and it wasn't' long since the bonnet one was done..so again, this just goes to prove what I said, they can and do fail one after the other sometimes. Again - we have had them faulty alarm units ... but I have given you all the known issues on these so that one way or the other, you will/ they will get this sorted for you for good.

I hope that helps you further ~

Please click the Accept for me now - Thank you again.. and you are Welcome to come back to me anytime..

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Right now I have the car battery disconnected at the positive terminal because I'm afraid of the alarm sounding in the driveway. Will this cause damage or will it save me for now?
Hi again...

No thats fine - it will stop your alarm going off...and also save / stop the battery from draining flat on you -

Thats the best thing to be doing for now , until its sorted out properly..

Best Rgds.. MIKE.

(Please dont forget the Accept for me, as thats how I get credited for helping you - Thank you again )
Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Mike, ASE Certified Technician