Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2003 Mazda Tribute: sputter..rev..stop light..Check engine light

My 2003 Mazda Tribute while driving sputtered in the rain when decelerating and continued to sputter (rev up and down) when idle at stop light. Check engine light began flashing on and off. Pulled in to parking lot, turned car off, checked fluid levels (normal), started car again. Sputtering continued, then stopped while driving home and operates smoothly again, but check engine light continues to be lit (not flashing anymore). In the past year, I've had the alternator replaced, the battery replaced, IAC valve checked and cleaned.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Your CEL was flashing because the computer picked up that you had a misfire.. Based on the fact that it was raining, this most likely means some water got splashed up onto the engine and got onto the ignition coils and possibly down beside them onto the spark plugs. You need to visit your local parts store and get the codes stored retrieved for free. Now if its time for a tuneup then go ahead and change all 6 plugs and apply di-electric grease to all the coil boots. Make sure and mount the one which was showing a misfire on cylinder 4 or 5 or 6, the ones closest to the radiator so in the event the one coil showing a misfire is indeed shorted out and bad it will be much easier to change if the misfire returns. If you just recently had a tuneup then just change the coil that is storing a fault code.