Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

1985 Mazda RX-7: I adjust steering wheel play

Customer Question
How do I adjust steering...
How do I adjust steering wheel play on my 1985 Mazda RX-7? Manual steering, not rack&pinion?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Mazda
8/8/2011
Mazda Mechanic: KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 years ago
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

KALAMYKID :

it you look on the top of the gear box, there is a small stud sticking out of a nut, you have to loosen the nut 12 turns, and then you can adjust the center stud to take the play out. Befire you try adjusting the gear box, you need to double check the idler arm and the pitman oarm and make sure there is nno play in them first.

Customer:

Rebuilt steering box. New pitman arm. Turning the center stud results in stiffening the wheel, making it too difficult to drive the car.

KALAMYKID :

you have to turn it in small incruments to find the swwet spot. are you sure the lower control arm bushings are good?

KALAMYKID :

There is a torque spec for the adjuster, and the spec is 0.5 -1.3 inch lbs.

Customer:

Mazda dealer installed everything possible. Pitman arm and bushings are new. When I turn the screw enough to take out the play, the steering is too stiff to drive with. What is the starting position of the adjusting screw? All theway in or all the way out?

KALAMYKID :

It should be about mid way, not all the way in or out.

KALAMYKID :

in is tighter, and out is looser. you shoudl be able to back the center bolt out, then run it in by just your fingers till it is tought, then turn it 1/16 of turn and it shoudl be set right.

Customer:

Does the 40mm nut have anything to do with the adjusting process?

KALAMYKID :

NO. that is the nut that holds the guts in.

KALAMYKID :

If the gear box was just rebuilt, then that shoudl have been set corectly, as it has to be miked to set it.

Customer:

I've been turning the screw and can't get to the acceptable position. I'll try somewhere else. Bye.

KALAMYKID :

ok

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech