Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

2008 mazda: has had 5 remote door actuators fail..warranty

My 2008 Mazda3 has had 5 remote door actuators fail since I purchased the car new. Mazda replaced 3 while I was in the warranty. What is going on here?<br /><br />Is it possible to get some kind of aftermarket unit that will last?

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

I would not recommend any aftermarket parts to be installed. The door lock actuators are not a common concern. I do replace a few of them but never the same one multiple times. The design may be a little weak for the latch operation and cable movement. This restriction will cause the small solenoid to prematurely wear if there is excessive lock/unlock operation requested over and over. Kids like to push buttons and may be a possibility.

I would stick with the Factory Mazda locks and minimize extended use, to extend life.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Drew

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Drew,

So it looks like I am kind of stuck with the situation? I have no kids and am the only driver.
Related to my work I am in and out of my car several times a day and my current mileage is 60,000. Unlike my coworkers who have the same usage, or more, with their Hondas, Toyotas, Subaru -- never a problem. Is it possible there is a problem in one or more of the doors that should have been looked at? The first remote failed at 8,500 miles. Also, can you tell me what the difference is in the $125.00 vs $150.00 replacement remote? You can see that I do not want to replace one of these units every six months and so far Mazda has been unwilling to extend any goodwill.
Thanks,
Robert

Hello Robert.

This is not a very common concern on the Mazda 3. I have NEVER seen one of these fail as low as 8500 mi.

If you have had problems with more than just one door, I would say that nothing was overlooked from the first repair.

I am not sure why there is a price difference. The door lock actuator is a complete assembly that is attached to the door latch. Since they are replaced as an assembly, there should be no way to screw up replacing the complete unit. I am sure that the front ones are a little more expensive than the rear door locks. The Mazda dealer will only goodwill a job if you are a regular customer that has all the services performed at their dealership. Mazda will also cover any lock actuator parts and labor for 1 year after you pay for the repair.

The front lock/latch pays .7 to replace and the rear only pays .5 to replace.

Drew Cool

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Drew,

Sorry to make you work so hard. I realize I have used some wrong terminology. It is only the remotes that have been replaced and it is the remotes that I was quoted as coming in two different prices. So, if the remotes are failing so often then could it be that something is wrong with something in the doors? I do not use the dealer for my regular service. Actually, I do not trust them. My experience with the dealer has not been all that positive and they are doing nothing here to change my opinion of them.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do it.

Robert

When you say remote, are you meaning the hand held key fob transmitter that is attached to the key that starts the car?? Like these??

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. For my car it is the one that is not actually attached to the key.

Thanks.

Hang on. I am taking a DEEP breath.

Now to start over.

The key fob is sold brand new on ebay for $20 and includes shipping and handling. I would suggest that you purchase these key fobs. You will be able to afford to replace these every 6 mo. if necessary. You can program these yourself.

The key fob will usually fail due to a faulty battery. If the battery is replaced and the key fob still does not work, you will have to replace the key fob.

Dropping the key fob and getting wet will cause corrosion of the circuit board, causing failure.

Not a common Mazda concern.

Thanks

Drew