Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

Fig 3 attachedFigure 3 shows a vertical structural member,

Customer Question
Fig 3 attachedFigure 3...

Fig 3 attachedFigure 3 shows a vertical structural member, with a rectangular cross-sectional area, made of an aluminium alloy. The member, which is fixed at its upper end with its lower end unconstrained, is intended to bear a maximum vertical tensile load of F = 20 kN at the centre of its free end. The design specification for the member also indicates that the nominally ‘vertical’ load may be inclined to the vertical by up to 3° in any direction.
• a.
o i.Calculate the longitudinal stress in the member when it is subject to the purely vertical maximum design load.
o ii.Write down the two-dimensional stress tensor for stresses in the x minus y plane. What is the stress state in the member when loaded purely vertically?
• b.Determine the resolved horizontal and vertical forces at the free end of the member when the 20 kN load is inclined at 3° to the vertical.
• c.Calculate the maximum longitudinal tensile stress in the member when the 20 kN load is inclined at 3° to the vertical such that bending occurs about the z-axis only.
• d.Repeat the calculation in (c), this time for the case where the 20 kN load is inclined at 3° to the vertical such that bending occurs about the y-axis only.
• e.If the same member was subjected to a purely vertical compressive force of 20 kN at the centre of its free end, determine whether buckling failure would be likely to occur. Assume E = 70 GPa for the aluminium alloy.

Tutor's Assistant: The Math Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Is there anything else the Math Tutor should be aware of?

No,thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Math Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2018
Math Tutor or Teacher: George Sibiya, Research Scientist replied 4 months ago
George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Research Scientist
Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilising or services
Please attach the image referred to in the text,
Regards,
G